Hi, we’re Second Genome.
We are a fast-paced, venture-backed biotechnology company developing breakthrough therapeutics through innovative microbiome science, and we are looking for an experienced leader to provide strategic guidance and drug development acumen for our drug discovery efforts. You will have an active role in the company's leadership team, working alongside our CEO and CSO to contribute to the company's vision for developing products that can address unmet medical needs. Your influence will span from early hit discovery to building and overseeing preclinical drug development programs and translational science/medicine strategy from concept through IND submission.
How You’ll Impact the Company:
- Deliver high quality therapeutic protein drug candidates based on obtaining in-depth knowledge of the therapeutic targets of interest.
- Implement novel protein generation campaigns and platform development.
- Optimize proteins to maximize their therapeutic potential and development through the preclinical and clinical development process.
- Work with the executive team and program leaders to plan and execute our R&D strategy and expand our pipeline.
- Manage a portfolio of targets and indications related to Oncology and Immunology.
- Serve as the spokesperson for the drug discovery team with stakeholders, including board presentations, investors, and the scientific community.
- Engage with external partners, clinical and academic collaborators and CROs.
- Generate a robust publication record in leading journals and present findings at key meetings.
- Lead and manage program teams as needed.
- Oversee CROs, collaborations, advisors and scientific partners.
- Participate in recruiting, coaching and developing internal talents.
What You Bring to the Role:
- PhD in Chemistry, Pharmacology, Biology, Biochemistry, or related field.
- Significant leadership experience in a drug discovery setting, such as biotech or large pharma.
- Extensive experience leading drug discovery project teams from target validation to IND-enabling studies.
- Track record of excellence and innovation as demonstrated by multiple peer reviewed publications and co-inventorship on patents.
- Extensive knowledge in all relevant disciplines relevant to peptide/protein drug discovery, including analytical chemistry, biology and pharmacology, formulation and delivery strategies.
- Proven experience advancing drugs against novel targets to IND stage in diverse therapeutic areas and molecular target classes.
- Deep understanding of preclinical PK/PD/efficacy relationships and their translation to the clinic.
- Deep technical experience in biochemistry and areas related to protein expression and purification, protein engineering, biophysical and biochemical assays, peptide and protein optimization, and construct design and molecular biology.
- Strong communication and people management skills, including demonstrated ability to navigate a matrixed organization with CEO, CSO, and project teams as main stakeholders.
What Could Set You Up for Success:
- Experience in oncology and Immunology drug development
- Experience in phenotypic drug discovery
- Experience with peptide drug targets
- Experience generating and using protein and peptide libraries using phage, yeast or other platform display technologies